Portfolio // Erie Canal "Flight of Five" Locks Restoration // Lockport, NY

Project Specs

Client:  City of Lockport

  • In 1825, this double set of five locks was considered to be one of the most significant  engineering triumphs of its era
  • In 1842, the "Evershed" version of the locks was rebuilt to provided for larger navigation vessels
  • In 1975, the Flight of Five was placed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • It is still the most valuable and important historic resources in existence on the original Erie Canal route
  • The South set of locks was replaced by Barge Canal Locks 34 and 35 in 1910, and the North set of locks converted to a side spillway

Project Details

Bergmann Associates is currently providing comprehensive design services to restore and repair the historic "Flight of Five" Locks (north set) back to their original working condition of the 1842 era. The locks have received little maintenance in the past century; sediment and debris have collected, gates have been replaced by concrete headwalls, lock walls have shifted, stone masonry blocks have cracked and deteriorated, handrails have fallen into disrepair.  New wooden gates with balance beams will restore the operation of the Evershed Locks.