The University's vision for this renovation of the School of Architecture & Planning was to create an atmosphere acknowledging the 19th century building elements, while also introducing modern open areas in the buildings core to support interaction and vibrancy within the school community.
Elements of the 76,500 SF building’s original 1866 details were restored and highlighted with approval by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. New infrastructure systems supporting cooling, heating, fire protection, power and communications were thoughtfully woven and integrated through the facility. Corridors were transformed from long, dimly lit passages to spaces with a pulse and rhythm using the cadence of doorways supplemented with informal gathering spaces.
2016 | Design Award
American Institute of Architects (AIA) Rochester, New York
2016 | Brick by Brick Historic Restoration Award - Buffalo Business First
2016 | Outstanding Design Award - American School and University